>The most common question I get from clients is ‘what should I wear’? This is an important question as clothing does set a tone for your photos.
It is natural for clients to want or need some guidance as it can be overwhelming especially when it comes to family portraits.
I would like to share with you some suggestions on what to wear and bring to your next photo session.
- #1 – be comfortable!
- Clothing choices should be based on your session location and you or your child’s personality.
- Keep it simple – solids or simple patterns.
- As a family avoid wearing the same thing, ie white polo shirt and jeans. But rather choose outfits that compliment each other. Color co-ordination lends harmony to a portrait.
- Avoid solid black and white – the camera doesn’t usually enjoy these extreme on the color spectrum.
- Extra clothing is a must for kids and there is a good chance they will get messy before or at the session.
- Bright colors are best in my opinion and always photograph nicely especially on kids.
- Avoid graphics/logos, cartoon characters and shiny fabric on clothing as it can be distracting.
- Check your clothing for any stains and get the iron out if you have wrinkles!
- Choose clothes that are flattering to your body shape.
- Check that your child’s feet, hands and face are clean.
- Accessories always make a session more interesting. So bring along a hat, scarf, head band, your child’s favorite teddy bear or even a cool chair. Props are always welcomed. Bring something that reflects or connects you and your family, perhaps a guitar, books, a fun umbrella. I also have a selection of props and accessories which I can share with you.
- Make sure your shoes coordinate with your outfit. Bare feet always looks good too.
- Well behaved four legged friends are more than welcome to join you in your photo session.
- Don’t over do the make up – natural is best!
- Layering always looks nice as well as the use of texture.
If you aren’t sure, feel free to bring a few different things and we can decide together.
The most important thing to remember is that your clothing should be a reflection of you and your family.
If you need some inspiration check out the many websites such as:
Old Navy, Mini Boden, Hanna Andersson, J Crew, Gap.
Don’t hesitate to call or email me for assistance.
I want you to feel comfortable and be yourself at your photo session so I can capture your soul!